026-219-3068 / 080-4454-1899



Here are some frequently asked questions by foreigners living in Nagano Prefecture.

Status of residence

  • What is the status of residence?

    Status of residence is a legal qualification that allows foreigners to conduct activities in certain fields while staying in Japan.

  • Japanese spouse died. What will happen to my status of residence?

    The status of residence will no longer be "Japanese spouse".
    If you live in Japan for a long time and have a stable living base, you may be able to change to “settlement”.
    Please consult the Tokyo Immigration Office for information on changing your status of residence.

  • A foreign couple. What should I do if my child is born?

    If you are born as a foreigner in Japan and want to stay in Japan for more than 60 days after you are born, you must apply for a residence status within 30 days from the date of birth.
    Please contact the Tokyo Immigration Bureau for information on what is required for the application.

  • I want to renew my period of stay. How many months before the period of stay can I apply for renewal permission?

    You can apply from about 3 months in advance.
    If you have a period of stay of up to 3 months, you can apply after the 2 of 1 or more of the period of stay.

  • I am planning to marry a Japanese. Currently, the status of residence is "Technology / Human knowledge / International work".

    There is no need to change if the work in Japan remains the same and the same work continues.
    It is also possible to change the status of residence to "Japanese spouse" after marriage. In this case, there are no restrictions on work activities (job types).

  • I have a “College Student” status of residence. What should I do when I work part-time?

    Please obtain permission for non-qualified activities at the Immigration Office Nagano Branch Office.
    When you apply, you have what you need.
    ・ Resident card (if any)
    ・ Application for permission for non-qualified activities

    [Reference] Inquiries
    ・ Tokyo Immigration Bureau (5-5-30 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo)
    Phone 0570-034259 (department number 410) (IP phone, overseas: 03-5796-7234)

    ・ Nagano branch office (1108 Asahicho, Nagano City, Nagano Daiichi Joint Government Building XNUMXF)
    Telephone 026-232-3317

    ・ International Information Center for Foreign Residents
    Telephone 0570-013904 (IP telephone, PHS, overseas: 03-5796-7112)
    Weekdays 8:30 am to 5:15 pm

About work

  • I would like to consult about working conditions. Can you consult in a foreign language?

    The Nagano Labor Bureau can consult in Portuguese.
    Nagano Labor Bureau Foreign Workers Working Conditions Consultation Corner
    Tuesday and Thursday (subject to change) AM 9: 00-PM 3: 30

    In addition, you can consult by phone.
    You can speak in 8 languages ​​(English, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Myanmar, Nepalese).
    See the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare website for phone numbers and hours of consultation.
    Consultation dial for foreign workers

Medical / Health

About childbirth, child care

  • What is vaccination?

    “Vaccination” is designed to prevent children from becoming seriously ill.
    There are "regular vaccinations" that are stipulated by law when a child is born and "voluntary vaccinations" that allow you to decide whether or not to receive them.

  • I want to be vaccinated. Do you have a medical examination slip

    You can download the vaccination pre-treatment form.
    16 languages ​​(English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Spanish, Portuguese, Thai, Indonesian, Tagalog, Nepalese, Arabic, Italian, German, French, Mongolian, Russian) It corresponds to.

    For more information, please see the website of Vaccination Research Center.
    Vaccination Research Center

About pension and tax

  • I can't pay the car tax. What happens

    You will receive a reminder and a letter of advice saying “Please pay the car tax”.
    For those who do not pay, the property will be seized.
    Please ask the prefectural tax office or the municipality where you live.
    If you have any problems, please consult with the Nagano Multicultural Counseling Center.

About child education

  • I want to leave my child at a nursery school. What should I do now

    Nursery schools can leave children when parents are working and unable to stay at home, or when they are sick and cannot raise children.
    If you want to leave your child at a nursery school, please consult the municipal office where you live.

About disaster prevention / disaster

About housing

About marriage and divorce

  • What procedures are necessary when marrying a foreigner?

    When you marry a foreigner, you must submit a marriage registration to both Japan and the partner country.
    If you want to marry first in Japan or foreign first, think about the two who are getting married.

    Depending on the country, it may be easier to file a marriage registration in a foreign country first, or it may be necessary to proceed in Japan first. First, let's ask at the embassy.
    See here for Embassy phone numbers.

About others

Local information


You can view the information of the selected area at once.